The first request I received when I began food-blogging for upliftfit nutrition was a “healthy pop tart”. This was fun to re-create, and I hope you all enjoy it as well! There is a little bit of pre-baking prep work to this recipe: The dough has to be refrigerated/frozen before you can bake, otherwise it won’t turn out as well. However, if you don’t care about looks, feel free to make it all at once. I’ve done both, and both taste great!
Macros for these homemade pop-tarts are 20p 21c 4f (203kcal). Additionally, this version is gluten free and just 5 ingredients (plus salt & water, but I don’t count those (: … )
Here is a comparison between Kellogg’s PopTarts and this version — for macros and ingredients!
- Vanilla or Strawberry Cheesecake 0% Light and Fit greek yogurt
- Coconut flour (I used Anthony’s Goods)
- Quest Vanilla Protein Powder or PEScience Strawberry Cheesecake Protein (or any flavor your heart desires!)
- Strawberry Jam (for filling) — I used Wegman’s 50% less sugar jam, but any jam/jelly would work!
- sea salt
- I greased 4 of these Mini-loaf pans with some Pam spray to make the ‘molds’ for my tarts
- baking sheet
Recipe (makes 2 pop tarts) :
- Combine the following ingredients:
- 30grams coconut flour (just over 4TBSP)
- 1 egg
- 75grams (1/2 container) of 0% light&fit greek yogurt
- 20grams protein powder
- dash of salt
- 1 TBSP of water if needed
- Divide dough into 4 portions
- press each portion into a greased mini-loaf pan
- freeze dough for 30minutes or refrigerate for an extended time (I let mine sit overnight so I could be ready to bake one in the morning)
- also save the remaining greek yogurt for the frosting!
- When ready to make, preheat oven to 400F
- Take out dough molds gently
- Place 2 rectangles of dough onto a greased baking sheet, and gently make a little valley (with the backside of a spoon) in the middle of the dough, leaving a little room on the edges.
- Put 1 TBSP of jam into the ‘valley’ of each
- Place other dough molds on top of the ones on the baking sheet
- Use a fork to press the edges down around all 4 sides
- Bake for 10-15minutes until edges are golden brown
- Use the remaining greek yogurt as frosting for the pop tarts! (about 37grams yogurt per tart)